Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for finance professionals and academics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose $B(t)$ is a standard Brownian motion, and $B_{1}(t)$ is given by $dB_{1}(t)=\mu dt+dB(t)$. Suppose $P$ is the Wiener measure induced by $B(t)$ on the $C[0,\infty)$, and $P_{1}$ is the Law induced by $B_{1}(t)$ on $C[0,\infty)$. Here we follow the definitions of law is referred to


According to Girsanov theorem ( for example, P155. Thereom 8.6.3 in Fifth Edtion, Stochastic Differential Equations: An introduction with Application), there exists a Law $Q$ such that $B_{1}(t)$ is a standard Brownian motion under $Q$.

Is $Q$ equal to $P_{1}$ ?

I thought they are not equal to each other. The reason is that for fixed time $t$ the expectation of $B_{1}(t)$ under $Q$ is 0, and under $P_{1}$ its expectation should be $\mu t$. If my derivation is wrong, please point out where is my mistake.

If I am correct, a new question is how to compute $\frac{d P_{1}}{dP}$?

Recall that $\frac{d Q}{dP}$ is given by Girsanov theorem. Any references are very appreciated.

share|improve this question
Answered on math.stackexchange.com: math.stackexchange.com/questions/231385/… – user1157 Feb 7 '14 at 8:31

No, that's the point of Girsanov's theorem. If $Q$ is equal to $P_1$, then nothing has changed. In order to make $B_1(t)$ a standard BM we need to transition to a new Law. Namely, $Q$.

share|improve this answer
Your answer is very appreciated. I just added some more question. If $P_{1}\neq Q$, how to compute the radon nikodym derivative $\frac{d P_{1}}{d P}$? I am very confused with this computations. Some references said it can be obtained by Girsanov theorem. – user2781712 Nov 8 '13 at 0:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.